We believe every child enters school as a reader and writer-in-training. Teachers are committed to supporting each child along his or her unique reading and writing journey. Due to our small class sizes and experienced support staff, teachers are able to work closely with students, identifying areas of strength and opportunities for growth. This information, along with recognizing and honoring different personality traits and learning styles, allows teachers to design instruction and offer support based on the individual needs of each child.
We offer a balanced literacy program embedded with research-based best practices. The Common Core State Standards serve as the roadmap for instruction. Standards are taught within the context of a reader’s and writer’s workshop model, including the following integral parts:
- Daily, explicit, whole-group, strategy-based lessons and modeling
- Independent practice time with specific, text-dependent performance tasks to check for understanding
- One-on-one conferring with teacher/student
- Strategy groups of 2-3 students working on same skills
- Ongoing formative and summative assessments to guide daily planning and instruction
- Student goal-setting with ongoing choice and accountability